Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Love and Basil

So, as all of you know, I was accepting to culinary school back in April.  I was supposed to start on May 2nd, but that gave me a month to find ans secure funding.  YEAH RIGHT!  So, I postponed my start date to the end of August.  Then, I vigorously began searching for grants, scholarships, low-interest loans so that I could actually pay for culinary school.  Well, because I already have a BS in Biology, the US government said NO WAY to any federal grant money.  So, that left me applying for, and being denied, private grants.  Also, unless I am a high school senior, part of a minority group, or a veteran, finding scholarships is difficult - now I know there are scholarships out there FOR EVERYTHING...the thing is you have to read the fine print.  A lot of them are not applicable if you are attending a TRADE SCHOOL.  Post-secondary education is considered wither a Masters program or PhD program.  Last I checked, there weren't many Masters of Cookies degrees out there (although, I'd totally love to walk across a stage and receive a diploma from the Pillsbury Dough Boy.  Just sayin'). 

I look for jobs here and there but I'll be honest, I've been slacking.  Most of the cooking jobs, even low man on the totem pole cooking jobs, are either looking for someone with experience already or the hours aren't conducive to having children.  And, let's face it, I decided I wanted to do something I love AND spend more quality time with Lilly.  If the new job doesn't allow that then its not a good match.

Monday, Caity forwarded me a job posting for "Baker" in Niantic, with a phone number.  Job requirement: must be a good baker.  That's it.  No "experience", no cooking school, no nada - you just had to be good.  Well, not to toot my own horn but I'm good.  (TOOT TOOT!) So, I called them up, told them I was interested, and they said, "Well, come one down and bring us a sample of your work."  I asked if they were looking for breakfast type pastries or cake like goods, they said muffins, danish, etc....so that's what they got.


Blueberry cream cheese pastry.

Chocolate chunk scones and coffee cake muffins.
I'm still waiting to hear back but the lady I spoke to seemed very impressed.  Apparently everyone else who applied brought A MUFFIN, A SCONE.....

So, the day before, Lilly was all excited that I would be baking all night that she started making up her own recipes.  She was determined to create something.  She came up with confetti cake batter mixed in one bowl, brownies mixed in another bowl, and then poured, simultaneously into the baking pan to create a confetti cake brownie.  When it's done, top it with vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, a cherry and sprinkles.  And then she says, (cutest thing EVER), "But Mama, don't forget the secret ingredients....."  "What's that I ask?"

"Love....and basil."

I love her.

No comments:

Post a Comment